Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Cherry Clafoutis


Anyone who watches Masterchef would have come across this dish,I have seen quite a few contestants creating Cherry Clafoutis.....recent one being Fillipo and I remember the judges saying that it tasted like sweet cherry omelette.....well that is exactly what I ended up with in my first attempt of making Cherry Clafoutis....I did not enjoy it and was wondering whats so great about this dish with a fancy French name and I was also very glad that I was smart enough to have halved the recipe....I was so surprised that my granny enjoyed it...in fact she was asking if there was more...then I thought....maybe its just my palette that is so used to having chocolate....and maybe this dish failed to hit the right chord for me....so I decided to give it a try again...this time I made few changes ....increased the level of sweetness and baked for lesser time(coz I definitely did not want to end up with cherry omlette).....my mom,dad,daughter, granny and my maid enjoyed Cherry Clafoutis......but I did not ........damn those chocolates. 

So I think maybe its just me....coz Cherry Clafoutis is famous French breakfast dish...so Iam assuming there must be something really unique about it....but its just not for me I guess.....maybe it is for you...you like it ...great......if you don't .....please do not grill me :)

Recipe source:Joy of baking
Ingredients
Print this recipe
for batter
  • 1/2 cup All purpose flour (65grams)
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 5 tbsp Sugar 
  • 3/4 ml Milk (180ml)
  • 1 tbsp Melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
For Cherries
  • 350gram Fresh cherries ,pitted
  • 1 tbsp unsalted Butter
  • 2 tbsp Sugar
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 210 degree C.Keep a 9 inch oven proof dish or in my case 4 ramekins ready.
  2. In a food processor (or use electric beater or hand whisk) add flour,eggs,salt,sugar,milk,butter and vanilla extract.Process for a minute till you get a smooth batter.Let it rest for few minutes while you prepare the cherries.
  3. In a saucepan melt butter, add cherries to the bubbling butter and cook till the cherries have softened and are coated with butter.Now sprinkle sugar and cook till sugar dissolves and turns into syrup.Pour the cherries into the baking dish or ramekins.Pour the prepared batter over the cherries.Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until just set and the clafoutis is puffed.( my clafoutis took 14 minutes to bake completely)
  4. Do not open the door until the end of baking time there are chances the clafoutis will collapse.
  5. Dust some icing sugar on top and serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. this is one dish I have wanted to make for quite some time-looks well done !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful dish Cherie and its your namesake :) Cherry Clafoutis made by Cheri and not liked by her! Che che! Too bad :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...