Again......planned to write 1000 words....but this is all I could come up with...
Dad you are my hero........Happy Birthday
Recipe Source:Smitten Kitchen
Print this recipe
- 480grams Cake Flour (4 cups + 2 tbsp)
- 2tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 225grams unsalted butter (softened)
- 400grams Sugar (2 cups)
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 large Eggs (room temperature)
- 2 cups Butter milk
For Butter cream icing
- 225grams unsalted Butter (softened)
- 188grams Icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate (melted and cooled slightly)
- Make cake flour : Once you measure plain flour remove 8 tbsp and replace with 8 tbsp Cornflour. Sift 3 times.Cake flour is ready.
- Buttermilk substitute : add 2 tbsp vinegar to 2 cups of milk,let it stand for 5 to 10 minutes,use this for cake batter.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C.Line two 9 inch baking pan with baking paper and grease the sides.Set this aside.
- Sift all the dry ingredients cake flour,baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large(when I say large I mean really large,coz you are gonna have crazy batter)bowl beat butter and sugar till light,fluffy and pale, add vanilla extract and mix, now add one egg at and time and beat after each addition and keep scraping down the sides.Beat on low speed and add in the buttermilk,add this point the batter will look curdles.
- Add in the dry ingredients in three batches, beating after each addition till all the dry ingredients are well incorporated and you are left with a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter equally among the greased cake pan.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or when a toothpick inserted it comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10minutes and transfer onto a wire rack and cool completely for one hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the butter cream icing, in a bowl beat butter and sugar till light,fluffy and pale,add in the melted chocolate and beat till well combines and smooth.
- Assemble the cake, place one cake on a cake tray or plate ,top with 1/4th of the butter cream icing and spread with a spatula evenly.Place the second cake on top and spread the remaining frosting on the cake.