Monday, May 21, 2012

Egg less Chocolate Mousse


I louve (in my South Indian accent)......Chocolate mousse....I can actually get high on it (serious....... I act mad......laugh my ass out......and get tipsy)

But I have to tell you.....I am a coward when it comes to making Chocolate mousse with eggs at home....I mean...I can have Mousse (with eggs) in any restaurant.....but I will never attempt it at home...I think its because of the fact that I do not trust myself with raw eggs.....its like "the raw egg syndrome'....I am never sure about how fresh the eggs are....maybe if a chicken lays an egg right in front of my eyes........THEN.....
I might consider making mousse with those eggs (which I doubt is gonna happen anytime).....That is why I prefer sticking to different versions of Egg less chocolate mousse.

The mousse in the above pic is reallly goooooood.......but the one below......Nigella's Chocolate Mousse with marshmallows .....is hands down.....heavenly.....like I have mentioned in the post ...'I died and went to heaven'


My favorite is Kahlua Chocolate Mousse at Toscano........each bite is like heaven....


Recipe Source: Neeta Mehta
Ingredients
Print this recipe
  • 400ml Milk
  • 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
  • 1 tbsp Cornflour
  • 6 tbsp Sugar
  • 4 tsp Gelatin  / 8g China grass (vegetarian version)
  • 50 g Semi sweet Chocolate Chips or 1 slab Cadbury Bournville, chopped
  • 1 tsp Coffee Powder
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 150 g Cream 
  • 1/4 Cup Chocolate sauce (I used Hersheys)
  • 1/2 cup Whipped Cream ,to top the mousse(optional)
  • Chocolate Sprinkles ,to top (optional)
  • Chocolate sauce to coat the bottom of the serving glass or bowl
Method
  1. In a small bowl make a paste of cocoa powder and cornflour using 50ml milk.
  2. Place rest of the milk and 6 tbsp sugar in a heavy bottom pan and bring to boil.Add cocoa and cornflour paste to this milk and keep stirring.
  3. Add chocolate chips and cook on low heat for 5 minutes till the chocolate melts. Add coffee powder and take off the flame.
  4. If using gelatin - Put 1/4 cup water in a small pan and sprinkle gelatin and dissolve on low heat.
  5. If using china grass - Cut china grass into pieces and soak in 1 cup water for 15 minutes.Place on medium flame and cook till china grass melts completely(this might take some time).Pass through a sieve just in case there are few grains of china grass.
  6. Mix the gelatin or china grass solution into the cocoa custard and mix well.Place in the freezer for 15 minutes till the custard is little thick but not set. Beat the thickened custard with and electric or hand whisk till smooth.
  7. Whip 150 g cream with vanilla extract till light and fluffy.
  8. Fold  the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture gently.Add in 1/4 cup chocolate sauce and mix gently till well combined.
  9. Coat the serving glass with chocolate sauce and transfer the chocolate cream mixture in it.Let it set in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
  10. Top with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.

6 comments:

  1. Yummy and irresistible mousse, i dont mind having it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice n delicious dessert...I don't get tired of this dessert anytime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly! So very tempting. And such lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice one dear, but how to make whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigawd! I am the same! I can not eat mousse as I cant stand the thought of eating raw eggs. I love vegetarian version of the famous chocolate mousse. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I will try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey..I tried it a few times..turned out gr8..but I always like I hav made some mistake coz after the mousse is set the top layer of the mousse has a lighter shade and the rest is a bit darker. I think the cream floats at the top or something. Am I doing something wrong? Even though I wait for the mixture to cool down before adding cream. And also before adding the cream my mixture is very runny. Please tell Wat mistake I am making.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...